REPORTS: Director of Engineering
JOB SUMMARY: Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for leading the design of customized metal/wood composite tables, display fixtures, cabinets and millwork. Provide direction to the CAD Designers and Engineers within their team. Ensure quality and timely completion of project assignments meeting cost targets. This includes both the processing of daily orders for key concepts as well as tasks associated with new business opportunities. Analyze, develop, and improve engineering processes through: waste reduction, error proofing design, standardization, etc.
- Lead the design effort for customized cabinets and millwork.
- Ensure that products are fully and correctly defined and documented using 3-D SolidWorks CAD system.
- Achieve cost effective customized product designs and retail layouts
- Develop accurate Bill of Materials
- Provide engineering direction and supervision to other Engineers
- Serve as engineering member of cross functional core team projects on new opportunities
- Pursue design for manufacturing opportunities for both new and existing products working closely with operations. Lead design review meetings on major new projects
- Provide production support and troubleshoot any issues on the manufacturing floor
- Process production drawings for exception items and miscellaneous requests
- Report on post production analysis of new projects: Assist with determination of actual costs, process feedback from manufacturing, examine ECR’s, and other design improvement opportunities
- Help in finding VA/VE cost reduction re-design opportunities
- Knowledge of industry codes and standards such as UL, NSF, NEC codes
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5 to 7 years of design engineering and management experience in a manufacturing or industrial plant specializing in wood construction
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3-D CAD solid modeling & drafting experience with using software such as SolidWorks, Inventor, or Pro-E
- Experience with wood products
- Must display proficient product design skills and 3D CAD skills
- Must have strong communication and written skills working in a team environment. This includes follow-up on project status
- Will have strong technical analytical and reasoning skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time
- Lead and improve wood design development.
All materials and information will be kept confidential.