REPORTS: Director of Engineering
JOB SUMMARY: Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for leading the design of customized wood composite tables, display fixtures, cabinets and millwork. Provide direction to the CAD Designers within their team. Ensure quality and timely completion of project assignments meeting cost targets. This includes both the processing of daily orders for key concepts as well as tasks associated with new business opportunities. Analyze, develop, and improve engineering processes through: waste reduction, error proofing design, standardization, etc.
- Lead the design effort for customized wood composite tables, cabinets and millwork. Create Designs that are doweled and use other labor saving techniques.
- Ensure that products are fully and correctly defined and documented using 3-D SolidWorks CAD system.
- Achieve cost effective customized product designs and retail layouts
- Develop accurate Bill of Materials
- Provide engineering direction and supervision to other CAD operators
- Serve as engineering member of cross functional core team projects on new opportunities
- Pursue design for manufacturing opportunities for both new and existing products working closely with operations. Lead Design review meetings on major new projects
- Provide engineering data needed to CAM programmers
- Provide production support and troubleshoot any issues on the manufacturing floor
- Report on post production analysis of new projects: Assist with determination of actual costs, process feedback from manufacturing, examine ECR’s, and other design improvement opportunities
- Help in finding VA/VE cost reduction re-design opportunities
- Knowledge of industry codes and standards such as UL, NSF, NEC codes
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2 to 5 years of design engineering experience in a manufacturing or industrial plant in the wood industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant industry experience.
- 3-D CAD solid modeling & drafting experience with using software such as SolidWorks, Inventor, or Pro-E
- Experience working in cabinet manufacturing facilities
- Must display proficient product design skills and 3D CAD skills
- Must have strong communication and written skills working in a team environment. This includes follow-up on project status
- Will have strong technical analytical and reasoning skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time
All materials and information will be kept confidential.