The Lead Detailer is responsible for the engineering and drafting of millwork solutions that meet customers design intent and company’s manufacturing and install capabilities. In frequent communication with the internal and external project execution team, they assure that solutions are engineered and drafted on time to meet customer’s timelines and that work is released to production in a way that allows seamless and timely manufacturing. Lead Detailer develops and coordinates effective and code compliant millwork solutions in a team with company’s project managers and other internal stakeholders and with customer representatives (e.g. architects, designers, general contractors).
- Works with internal and external project teams face-to-face, via phone or conferencing tools to interpret owners and architects design intent.
- In unison with the project manager, clarifies scope and directs the customer to the best solution, meeting or exceeding budget as well as meeting company’s estimated costs.
- Engineers and drafts product solutions that meet design intent and building codes
- Engineers and drafts product solutions that meet company’s supply chain, manufacturing and installation capabilities
- Coordinates work and interfaces of company products with other trades as required.
- Escalates situations that would lead to cost overages to the project manager for resolution. Develops alternatives.
- Uses company drafting systems (CAD, BIM, other) to engineer, detail and draft product.
- Drafts submittal drawings to meet customers’ submittal and project schedule.
- Generate RFI’s, change orders and requests for work.
- Maintains company’s job management/ERP systems for assigned projects.
- Adheres to company’s drawing conventions and where applicable leads the development of standards and deployment of system.
Experience and skills:
- 7 or more years of experience engineering and detailing high end commercial millwork product with a high level of customer interaction.
- Extensive experience with a multitude of materials (solid wood and veneer, glass, metal, acrylics, upholstery)
- Expert knowledge of joinery methods in a wide variety of millwork product.
- Expert knowledge of functional hardware for furniture, casework, doors and other millwork applications.
- Expert knowledge of AWS/AWI/WIC and other relevant standards.
- Thorough understanding of commercial construction processes and commercial building codes.
- Proven track record in leading the development of high end millwork solutions.
- Demonstrated, expert knowledge of computer based drafting tools, such as AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidworks and parametric engineering software, such as Microvellum, CabinetVision, IMOS, WoodCad/Cam, Sketchup etc.
- Solid oral and written communication capabilities with high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Outlook.
Personality Traits and Abilities:
- Leadership: Ability to effectively and persuasively communicate with customers and architects and internal stakeholders on all levels.
- Ability to navigate and influence a cross-functional organization; ability to lead/manage initiatives within the organization.
- Strong influencing skills with ability to use fact-based and well-thought-out arguments to challenge all project stakeholders when needed or change methods/techniques as needed.
- Ability to lead others individually or in problem solving teams/groups
- Ability to collaborate with employees at all levels of the organization, in various workgroups, departments, and skillsets.
- Work in a self-directed course of action.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Highest level of detail orientation.
- High level of analytical skills and independent problem solving.
- Diligent and persistent in follow through.
- Ability to teach, coach, mentor and provide feedback to others.
- Strong team player.
- Ability to handle several high priority task at the same time.
- High level of flexibility dealing with, or driving change.
Bachelors Degree in Engineering, preferably related to wood technologies, or equivalent extensive work experience required.
All materials and information will be kept confidential.